COUNTDOWN

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Latest update

This is the email Andy sent out today to some of our co workers/friends but I figured I would post it as well here.

Shannon and I went this morning to have her stitches removed by the ENT/surgeon and to get the update from the on the pathology reports. The good news is the nodule that was removed was benign. The bad (although not terrible) news is that Shannon did have a "clinically insignificant" amount (less than 1cm) of thyroid cancer on her thyroid lobe that was removed. The doctor said that the cancer wasn't "doing anything" and is "out of there" so she told us not to worry about it. We also found out that Shannon does have a thyroid disease (lymphocytic thyroiditis) that is fairly common in women that causes your thyroid to produce nodules both benign and cancerous. This disease can be aggravated by higher than average TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels in the blood. Next step is to have a blood test done in 5 weeks to check the TSH levels and if they are high, Shannon will be given medicine to suppress the thyroid activity which will help prevent the formation of future nodules. She will also be monitored every six months via ultrasound to make sure that nodules have not formed on the remaining thyroid lobe.
So long story short:
*nodule benign
*"clinically insignificant" cancer removed
*no need right now for any more surgery or radioactive iodine treatments
*monitor every six months and when and if necessary remove the rest of the thyroid (hopefully never happens)


I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers through this ordeal. I can't begin to explain how much your kind words and support have meant to me and my family throughout these trying times. We are truly blessed to be surrounded by so many caring and supportive friends and family!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Shannon I am so sorry you have to go through all this but am very thankful your ok! Love and prayers to you always. xoxo Jen