COUNTDOWN

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thyroid Craziness

I have been MIA on the blogging due to just plain craziness and my stress from my thyroid issues.

Most of you reading this know most of the story but I just wanted to update everyone.


Just over 2 weeks ago I felt a lump in my throat and after hearing a little about a friend Liz's similar situation and having another friend who has already dealt with Lymphoma I decided I better call the doctor.. so they sent me for blood work and an ultrasound. I have never had thyroid issues before so they said thyroidism can show up post partum but the big lump was unusual so fast... My blood work came back normal but the ultrasound confirmed I had a 1 inch nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid. I then had a fine needle biopsy Wed. August 6. Monday I got the results that it is suspicious of papillary carcinoma. We had been going nuts with nerves and on August 13 I met with an ENT that said I will need surgery to remove the right lobe of my thyroid and the nodule and they will biopsy it right there and decide if I need the entire thyroid removed depending if they can tell if it is cancerous from the biopsy while I am in surgery. My surgery was scheduled for 9/16 but I got a call today that they had a cancellation on 8/28 so I now have to have surgery next week. I am nervous and scared and all those things but I know this is the next step we need to take. I am nervous about the scar and possibly having cancer and needing radiation. I will have to stop nursing mot likely--from stress and nerves if nothing else...but I will deal with that when I have to....I did talk to a lactation consultant today that says I should be able to continue to nurse. I will have to pump and dump for about 12 hours she said to be safe from the anesthetic. And there are pain meds that are safe with nursing so hopefully I will be able to continue.

Please keep us in your prayers!

4 comments:

Jen said...

glad you were able to get your surgery moved up a little bit! we are thinking of you guys!

Mandy said...

Thinking of you Shannon...I'm sure everything will be fine. No matter what you are a strong person and you'll get through this! Keeping you in my prayers...

Unknown said...

I was so sorry to hear that you are having some health concerns right now. I know from experience how scary and stressful it can be. Rob and I will be thinking of you during this time and wishing you an easy and speedy recovery.

KellyHerst said...

You haven't blogged in more than a week. Tsk Tsk. You'd think you had a job and kids and stuff.