COUNTDOWN

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Change...personality & emotions...

I have been sort of sentimental lately and it just amazes me how kids grow.

Sammy has been sleeping in the guest bedroom the last 3 days while we finally redo her room to a big girl horsey room. I love that last night I could snuggle with her at a normal "height/level" while she went to sleep. She has been in a toddler bed...
She is so "big" at times and yet so not others.... I have been hearing from more and more people that the oldest can be a little clingy. I thought the oldest was independent and strong..and the baby was clingy..that is how my sister and I were... or still are. : )
Sam insists on having someone with her in every room or at all times. I cracked up watching my 5 year old beg the 2 year to go downstairs with her to watch a movie the other morning. She couldn't just go and do it herself. And Ali didn't want to get out of our bed so she just told Sam no and Sam melted down... the dynamics are funny! Meltdowns.. does anyone else have a child that has meltdowns that embarrass you.... in the last few weeks Sam has been so emotional and anxious and cautious etc. That is her personality and a lot is changing in her world lately but yikes. Andy's mom always said he was very cautious and anxious as a kid and I am VERY emotional so I guess she just got all that bundled into one... As some of you saw on my post on facebook Sam obsesses about the weather. This is partially because we have had to rush down to the basement a few times already since moving to our new house. The storms are crazy by us now and we back a pond and a corn field so the wind is nuts. The back of our house is a lot of windows as well so the sound and the visual scares her so much. (And me too but I try to be strong.) And on top of all that has changed I have had surgery again.... but she claims that doesn't bother her... back to meltdowns..last Friday we got to dance company rehearsal (which Sammy usually loves, and ASKED me to put her in) and Sam realized that Ali, Daddy and I were going to go run to the store and she freaked out and wouldn't dance and screamed and cried and kicked..I had to take her out in the parking lot and have Andy talk to her..she finally went in the room but didn't dance until almost the end.. she claimed she wanted her Mommy... she honestly never wants Mommy..she is a Daddy's girl 80% of the time. Then Saturday in the midst of Ali's swim lesson Sam started causing "trouble" and wanted to get in the pool but I told her no. She was wearing a leotard and tights for dance class...as you can guess..a kicking screaming meltdown induced that caused me to have to physically carry her to the car after rounding up her flip flops that she kicked across the entrance. I had to pull the car over twice before she would calm down and I would let her go to dance class. (She also admitted that night she was jealous of the attention Ali was getting...sibling love)
As I write this I am realizing how much really is changing in her life lately..how to teach a 5 year old coping skills????...and the biggest CHANGE hasn't even happened yet...SCHOOL.
In less than 2 weeks my "big girl" will be starting Kindergarten and a new daycare all at once... I used to think she was so confident and social and would have no problems making friends and would love the change.. she used to run into a class and not look back..and come out talking everyone's ear off....lately I am scared to death! I DO NOT tell her that.. and we have been reading fun back to school books etc but I am worried. I pray we meet a little girl at the daycare open house next week that will be going to school with Sam on the same little bus so I can stop worrying so much.. I am a freak. I really should not wonder where Sammy gets her personality traits. Between Andy Me and our parents wow... we all choose to procreate? he he. So this is obviously my venting of fear and emotions so lets hope Sammy finds some positive way to vent hers too.... We have a few family days planned in the days before school starts and her new bedroom should be done in the next week or so--just waiting for furniture to come in now--so these are fun things..RIGHT?

3 comments:

Becky's Blog said...

Oh Shannon! Hang in there! I know how challenging it can be. My guess is that some of this is stemming from knowing kindergarten is coming up and what a big change that will be (probably combined with your move). Knowing Sam, as soon as she gets her surroundings and sees how great kindergarten is, the anxiety will ease up for her. Keep reading those books (great idea!!) and hang in there. This too will pass (at least that is what I tell myself when things are rough, lol!)

Shannon said...

Thanks Becky! I was so crazy that day I needed to vent! : ) last night was a little better and hopefully she will start to get excited in the next few weeks about all the "intro days" we have with her new daycare and school stuff!

Mandy said...

Good luck Shannon! Obviously I'm a few years behind you so I don't have much knowledge on the subject but I'd guess, like your friend Becky said, that she senses the big change coming and is acting out. It's like kids have a sensor or something b/c Addison went through an "off" phase right before the baby came and she was pretty much too young to really understand the whole concept. I think they just know "something" is up, even if their not sure what.